1. Washington State – a PAC 12 foe here. This will be a pretty interesting game in that we’ll get to see what Gus Malzahn has up his sleeve and if he’ll have to reveal any of his tricks to be the Cougers.
2. Arkansas State – This is another interesting game considering Auburn just took Malzahn away from ASU after just one year up there. The Red Wolves have been good recently but they are now on their 4th head coach in the last 4 years.
3. Mississippi State – Huge test early, as always, for both teams. This on will be at night – only the 2nd night game in the last six games on the plains in this series. They are going to Baton Rouge the next week. In a non-rebuilding year there might be cause for a look-ahead, but not this year.
4. at LSU – Coming off what should be a tough game vs. MSU, Auburn will probably get shellacked at Death Valley. Maybe not, this series has yielded some phenomenal games, but this one seems more reminiscent of the 2011 45-10 game.
5. Bye – This comes at a good time as they will be able to lick their wounds from playing LSU and prepare for Ole Miss.
6. Ole Miss – With an off week to prepare, this could be a chance for Gus Malzahn to really work up a great game plan against a pretty good Rebel D. At home, this could be a game Auburn steals (based on what the ‘experts’ are currently saying). OM is coming off a game at Alabama.
7. Western Carolina – This is a nice pick me up. The only FCS foe on the schedule.
8. at Texas A&M – The Tigers essentially have an extra week to prepare for A&M since Western Carolina is an easy win. I doubt it will be enough but they do have that going for them. A&M goes to Oxford the week prior and has Vandy after this so not much to hurt them.
9. Florida Atlantic – The October schedule really sets up nice for them. Come off a bye to play a SEC team, FCS, SEC, Sun Belt, then SEC again to start November.
10. at Arkansas – This will be a big game as both teams have new head coaches, and at least heading into the year there is a lot of uncertainty. Malzahn seems to have a quicker route to success than Bielema having just coached there 3 of the last 4 years so to even things up this game is in Fayetteville and they have a bye in Week 9.
11. at Tennessee – These two games are a crucial stretch for Auburn. Road games against teams with new head coaches. Win them and it could be a solid year. Lose them and things could start slipping away. UT faces Mizzou in Columbia before this game and have bye after it.
12. Georgia – I was somewhat shocked to find out Auburn has lost 6 of the last 7 to UGA and the last two by a combined score of 83-7. War Eagle hasn’t won the deep south’s oldest rivalry on the Plains since 2005! The Bulldogs have FCS Appalachian State leading up to this game.
13. Bye – Good time to have one with the Iron Bowl following.
14. Alabama – You can’t really say they don’t stand a chance, because they do…especially in Auburn. After winning 6 straight the Tide have taken this rivalry back, winning 4 of the last 5 (but we all remember that one Auburn win).