Are you ready to watch some SEC basketball? If so, you're in the right place as the Mississippi State women's basketball team is bringing the Vanderbilt Commodores to Starkville for Sam Purcell's Mississippi State Bulldogs' SEC opener.
The Vanderbilt Commodores are much-improved over last season and the Mississippi State Bulldogs are seeking an opportunity to prove that they can contend amongst the best teams in the Southeastern Conference this season.
Let's start going over everything you need to know about this game between the Bulldogs and the Commodores:
Mississippi State women's basketball quick preview: Bulldogs open SEC play by facing Vanderbilt Commodores
- Teams: Mississippi State Bulldogs vs. Vanderbilt Commodores
- Records: MSU (13-2), Vandy (13-1)
- Rankings: N/A for MSU and Vandy right now
- Date: Thursday, January 4
- Tip-off time: 6:30pm CT
- Venue: Humphrey Coliseum (also known as The Hump, located on Mississippi State's campus in Starkville, Mississippi)
What to watch for:
- Dominant defensive showcase: This game is going to showcase two really disciplined defenses who have made it difficult for opposing offenses up to this point in the season. MSU holds foes to 56.9 points per game and Vanderbilt is holding folks to 56.5 points per game.
- Stars to watch: MSU's Jerkaila Jordan (17.2 points per game) and Jessika Carter (15.1 points per game and 9.6 rebounds per game) vs. Vandy's Jordyn Cambridge (14.8 points per game, 7.7 rebounds per game).
- SEC opener: Both of these teams are trying to demonstrate that they can routinely meet their potential and that's what makes this first conference game important for both of these teams.
Prediction and preview: Mississippi State has a really efficient offense and the Bulldogs likely have more top end talent on the depth chart and roster. Plus there's home court advantage here working in Mississippi State's favor. Expect the Bulldogs to protect their home court and get a respectable win here, but don't be shocked if the Commodores make it closer than MSU fans want it to be.
Score prediction: Mississippi State Bulldogs win 71-62