As year two of the Chris Jans era is set to begin, here’s everything the Mississippi State basketball coach had to say at SEC Media Days.
Rolling into his second season leading the Mississippi State men’s basketball program, Chris Jans has a lot that he’s having to juggle. From injury and depth issues to recruiting to figuring out how to deal with the fact that the SEC has gotten good at men’s basketball, Jans has a lot of headaches to navigate.
With his second season leading the Mississippi State Bulldogs, it looks like Jans is focused on making adjustments, developing players to overcome adversity, and somehow stay healthy enough to make it to late January when the Mississippi State basketball team might get some good injury update sort of news.
The Bulldogs are coming off of a 22-12 season that was respectable and included an NCAA Tournament appearance.
But, State will need to be better this season. And when you go ahead and add in injury issues, there’s no way that Jans isn’t trying to figure out how to work around that.
So, what did Jans have to say about all of that?
Mississippi State basketball coach Chris Jans spoke during SEC Media Days
Well, here’s everything that Jans had to say at SEC Media Days:
- Chris Jans explains how Mississippi State basketball built chemistry, camaraderie in Portugal – While Chris Jan wasn’t able to be with the Bulldogs for the entirety of the Portugal trip for the Mississippi State basketball team, it’s clear to MSU’s head coach that it had an impact on this team heading into this season.
- Chris Jans offers SEC Media Days update on Tolu Smith injury – The Bulldogs got some bad news when they found out that Tolu Smith would be out for a little bit. Given how important Smith is for MSU, keeping tabs on his injury news is a big deal for Mississippi State basketball fans.
- Chris Jans discusses defensive intensity with Tolu Smith hurt – Unfortunately, the reality is Mississippi State will be without Smith for a little bit. How will that impact the way the Bulldogs play?
- Chris Jans discusses Jimmy Bell carrying the burden for the Bulldogs – There are some very noteworthy depth issues the Bulldogs will need to navigate throughout this season. How will they approach not having Smith? How can Jimmy Bell help step up?
- Chris Jans reflects on coaching in SEC – It really wasn’t that long ago that the Southeastern Conference stunk at college basketball. There were always a few good schools here and there, but it really seems like men’s basketball has gotten far more competitive in the SEC than it was in years past.
If you’d like to read more about what Jans specifically said to each and every question, check out ASAP Sports’ transcript of SEC Media Days.