When MSU faces Arkansas this weekend a streak will go down. The question is, which one will it be?
- MSU has never lost to a 1st year Arkansas head coach
- Arkansas has never lost to MSU in the state of Arkansas
State’s record vs. Arkansas isn’t too good: 7-15-1. About the only time we’re able to secure a victory is when they have a new coach. But alas, Bret Bielema is in Year 1 in Fayetteville. Check out all the not losing to first year Hog head men:
- 1992: Joe Kines (1992) – MSU won 10-3
- 1993: Danny Ford (1993-97) – Tied 13-13
- 1998: Houston Nutt (1998-07) – MSU won 22-21
- 2008: Bobby Petrino (2008-11) – MSU won 31-28
- 2012: John L. Smith (2012) – MSU won 45-14
- 2013: Bret Bielema (2013- ) – ???
Playing in Arkansas has been a little tough for the Bulldogs. The University of Arkansas is the only school MSU has played in the state, and we are 0-9-1. The tie came in 1993, all the losses came every other year until present day. The first two games in this series (1916, 1939) were playing in Memphis, TN and Mississippi State won both of those. But none of the other “neutral” site games have been so kind – we’ve played UPig in Little Rock seven times: 0-6-1. Fayetteville wasn’t much better either, of course: 0-3 (1997, 2001, 2003).
What’s gonna happen? There will be a first to occur in this series, who’s it gonna be?