I had to go to a wedding that my wife’s been looking forward to for a while, so I missed the end of the Auburn/Georgia game. But since I live in Georgia I was surrounded by UGA fans who were looking at their phones while waiting on the wedding to start – after their big time comeback, one minute before the bride is set to walk down the aisle you see: 73 yard TD reception for Auburn. Kind of let the air out of the place, ha. When I got back home to watch the replay I couldn’t belive that catch.
Auburn winning was huge for South Carolina, as all they needed to do was beat Florida and hope for one Missouri loss, but they nearly lost to the Gators.
Mississippi State played Alabama tough – and had their shot to take down the beast. Bama won’t give you 4 turnovers, almost never. But unfortunely Dak Prescott was hurt, then Russell went down and was unavailable to attempt capitalizing on the last two golden opportunities, leaving the Bulldogs with a true freshman at QB. Some good luck followed by some tough luck for the Dawgs, compounded by poor execution. Still a great effort, and excellent defensive game. More on the blog later today.
1. Alabama, 10-0 (7-0) – still the kings.
2. Auburn, 10-1 (6-1) – the incredible turnaround by Gus Malzahn continues and now the ultimate Iron Bowl has been set up two weeks from now….winner takes the West – game is in Auburn.
3. Missouri, 9-1 (5-1) – they had the week off to rest up and prepare for Ole Miss. Now they know what they have to do – win out.
4. Texas A&M, 8-2 (4-2) – Aggies had the week off as well. They’ll travel to Baton Rouge next week.
5. South Carolina, 8-2 (6-2) – this was my pick to win the East and they’re still alive for it. I like their chances too. They’ll finish with a FCS team then Clemson at home.
6. Ole Miss, 7-3 (3-3) – Rebs wiped the floor with Troy and finish the year with Mizzou and MSU.
7. LSU, 7-3 (3-3) – can they contain Manziel who is undefeated on the road?
8. Vanderbilt, 6-4 (3-4) – that UK game was a little too close for comfort, but they did win. Tennessee is up next.
9. Georgia, 6-4 (4-3) – UGA has just lost so much on offense, but Murray is such a great QB he’s carried them, it just hasn’t been enough at times. They’ve got four losses but have beaten South Carolina and LSU…but this team isn’t the same as it was in September.
10. Mississippi State, 4-6 (1-5) – State has played some really good teams really tough the last three weeks, they’ve just made too many errors to win.
11. Florida, 4-6 (3-5) – a game between MSU and Florida would be interesting. Good athletes, fighting, but making a bunch of mistakes.
12. Tennessee, 4-6 (1-5) – the Vols had the week off. They finish with Vandy and UK to try to get bowl eligible.
13. Kentucky, 2-8 (0-6) – I’m jumping them over Arkansas for their game in Nashville. They’re still playing tough for Stoops, and getting better.
14. Arkansas, 3-7 (0-6) – Bye week, hosting State next week.