It wasn’t a banner weekend of football in the SEC. Of course, the day wasn’t helped by State’s performance to start the afternoon. The Dawgs left a lot on the table with costly mistakes – more on the blog later.
Huge win for Georgia over Florida. The Gators made a decent comeback – I thought they were dead down 20-3 early considering their offense, but they came back. Will Muschamp is now 0-3 vs. UGA. If there’s a gleam in a Georgia fan’s eye about Mark Richt it’s that he’s beating Florida, that is arguably their biggest rival.
Missouri picked up the pieces and beat Tennessee pretty good. They’re a good team no doubt, and they made me scratch my head how UT nearly beat UGA and did beat South Carolina but in the last two weeks they’ve lost by a combined 76-13.
Did you happen to catch the Auburn player faking injury against Arkansas? I was watching live when that happened – it was pretty obvious and Bret Beilema was upset about it. Nonetheless Auburn wins again and Arkansas loses again.
1. Alabama, 8-0 (5-0) – The Tide were off this week. They’ve got LSU, MSU and Auburn going down the stretch.
2. Missouri, 8-1 (4-1) – I think they proved their toughness on Saturday night. Their defense looks pretty solid – anytime you can hold a team to 3 points that is quite an accomplishment.
3. Auburn, 8-1 (4-1) – If the Barners continue their winning ways they could set up a monster Iron Bowl on the plains that would be for the western division. They’ll have to beat Tennessee (away) and Georgia (home) though.
4. Texas A&M, 7-2 (3-2) – They keep winning with a ton of Manziel and very little defense. MSU comes to College Station next week, we’ll see if the Dawgs can do anything. A&M is looking to get a win before their bye week and closing out with LSU and Missouri.
5. LSU, 7-2 (3-2) – A trip to Alabama is up next. It’s been one of the best series in the nation over the last few years.
6. South Carolina, 7-2 (5-2) – The Gamecocks are almost done with their SEC schedule. They’ve got a bye coming up before hosting Florida. If they can win that game they’ll watch Missouri from the clubhouse hoping they can trip up at least once for a trip to Atlanta.
7. Georgia, 5-3 (4-2) – Big win over the Gators. UGA is all but eliminated from the East (Missouri needs just one more win) but they can still play for a solid bowl game despite the rash of injuries.
8. Ole Miss, 5-3 (2-3) – The Bears had the week off. They’ve got Arkansas coming to Oxford next week.
9. Florida, 4-4 (3-3) – They just aren’t that good. They’ve followed up the Tebow years where they were 48-7 with a 30-17 record since.
10. Vanderbilt, 4-4 (1-4) – The Dores had the week off. A trip to Florida is up next, that should be an interesting game…both teams really need it as they look to go to a bowl….maybe UF a little more than Vandy.
11. Tennessee, 4-5 (1-4) – They’ve gone from getting blown out to playing tough and winning to getting blown out again.
12. Mississippi State, 4-4 (1-3) – The Dawgs are gonna have to figure out how to do some things they haven’t done to much of to get to a bowl game – beat Arkansas in Arkansas and beat a good team.
13. Kentucky, 2-6 (0-4) – The Cats scored a FCS victory in Week 10…it will probably be their last win of 2013.
14. Arkansas, 3-6 (0-5) – They did play a little better this week, but they haven’t been close yet this year (outscored 214-67 in SEC play). Ole Miss, MSU and LSU remaining.